Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Blogger's Custom Domain Trouble ...!

I had to worked very hard to make a working domain for this Blog as I am not an expert in this field. Configuring your Domain is a very frustrating work if you know nothing about the working of the DNS and Domain.

What if you Buy a Domain and get Error Like "Another Blog is already hosted at this address " Or " 404 Error , Url not found on this server "

You will sure feel that you have wasted your money. Then you may Choose to move to another blog hosting like Wordpress or some other paid hosting .
Remember Leaving the hope will never help you . So be prepared to face any kind of trouble.

It took me three days to solve this problem.

Now here i start my story about custom domain,

I wanted to start blogging from a long time.This time i decided to start Blogging .So after some surfing about custom Domain, i thought that it is very easy to start working with Custom Domain.(which was my biggest mistake ).

According to blogger , we just have to make a CNAME record based upon your registrar. I had a Znetindia as Domain registrar which was very different from Registrar mentioned by the Blogger.

Now i did what was written in blogger's help. I made a CNAME record pointing to ghs.google.com with WWW as alias and 14400 as TTL (anyhow the TTL doesnt matter much) .

After that, I tried to give my domain in Advance setting , in the Publishing option in Blogger but it Showed,"Another Blog is already hosted at this address".

From here i started getting the taste of trouble.

I also posted a question about it in Google Help but nobody replied me. Looks like there is no google employee to help me out.
This was the most fustrating time for me.I thought i should have brought something else instead of wasting money in domain.

Now i gave my domain as themangoblog.com instead of www.themangoblog.com in the advanced setting and luckily it was accepted .After that i still had trouble in redirecting the mangoblog.com to www.themangoblog.com.
It showed me 404 error when i visit my site.

Now i have two errors

First one is "Another blog is already hosted at this address" when i try to redirect or give www.themangoblog.com in blogger.

second is " 404 error, Url not found on this server "
This shows that the ghs.google.com got the Bug in their database.

Again i started surfing about it and found the Magic custom domain form. I gave my domain www.themangoblog.com in that.
i made some changes in Domain. I made a new record pointing to ghs.google.com with no name or alias or u can say @ in the record.

Now i got Two CNAME record.

First one is Record pointing to ghs.google.com with www
second one is record pointing to ghs.google.com without www or you can say @.

I still had a problem .so i removed all the A records and MX records.
All i did was by experimenting the Different Record.

Finally My setting were :

Two CNAME record pointing to ghs.google.com with and without www ie @ or .

No A record

No MX record

This setting worked with me unless i need some special service like mail forwarding or something.

I also noted the all previous setting of my records so that i can restore it if anythings go wrong.

Thanks to Chuck,
the Owner of the http://blogging.nitecruzr.net/
Chuck helped me a lot. You can also ask Chuck for your help , he is a very kind and helpful guy.

You can also find more information regarding Custom domain on http://blogging.nitecruzr.net/


PLZ REMEMBER : It takes time to update your DNS setting so plz wait atleast for 3-4 hrs after you make any changes in you Domain setting.

Hope you find this information useful.
It was all from my experience.

No comments: